Catgeory D (Bus)
The minimum age for this licence is 18 years old and you must hold a full Cat B (car) and Provisional Cat D licence. There are specific rules for under 21s to drive please refer to DVLA website.
In order to undertake the training you must first go through the following stages:
1. Obtain the required application pack D2 & D4 (available from CTTS free). We only post them on receipt of a SAE.
2. Get your doctor or CTTS doctor to carry out the required medical completing the D2 form.
3. You complete the D4 provisional Cat D application form.
4. You send both the D2 & D4 along with both parts of your existing licence to DVLA Swansea
There is NO FEE to pay and 10-15 working days later you should receive your new licence.
5. Study for the theory test, we can supply the training books and discs for a small fee (optional).
6. Pass the required theory test. The test is now a two part test and can be sat one after the other.
- Part 1 - 100 multiple choice questions (you must get 85 correct from the possible 100)
- Part 2 - Hazard perception 19 film clips from which you must correctly indicate developing hazards. In this part of the test you must achieve a score of 67 out of the available 100.
7. Having passed the theory/hazard perception tests you can now undertake the practical driver training. Train to the DSA test standard and take the test.
8. You must also complete the remaining elements of the Initial Drivers CPC before you can transport passengers for hire or reward. See the section titled DRIVERS CPC (INITIAL).
On passing these tests: you are licensed to drive any bus/coach, this is because our training bus has a manual gearbox.
If you hold a restricted Cat D (automatic bus) then passing the Cat C upgrades your D licence to a full licence removing the automatic only restriction.